The mission and objectives of the Gewandhaus zu Leipzig are:
- The fostering and advancement of civic musical and concert life upon the foundations of the city's history and traditional musical sites.
- The employment and maintenance of the Gewandhausorchester, the Gewandhaus Organist and the Gewandhaus Choirs for concerts both in Leipzig and beyond.
- The provision of the Gewandhausorchester for both the performances staged by Leipzig Opera and the performance of cantatas in St. Thomas's Church together with St. Thomas's Choir.
- The presentation of chamber concerts featuring the ensembles of the Gewandhausorchester, as well as the hosting of concerts of varying genres given my guests and guest ensembles.
- The provision of an extensive range of education and outreach activities.
- The operation of the New Gewandhaus as a concert and event location.
We persistently strive:
- to maintain and intensify the Gewandhausorchester's worldwide synonymity with artistic excellence
- to enhance the international profile and reputation of the Gewandhaus's exceptional concert programme
- to ensure our Gewandhaus prospers as a sought-after and state-of-the-art concert and event location
in order to enduringly advance Leipzig's international reputation as a city of music.