Res severa verum gaudium. Wahre Freude ist eine ernste Sache.*
- Together we bring music to life in order to provide emotional sustenance for our audience. We demand of ourselves the highest possible quality of performance, the conscientious care of our tradition and unwavering commitment to the contemporary. We fulfil this credibly, seriously and enduringly.
- Wir ermöglichen allen Menschen die Teilhabe an unseren kulturellen Angeboten und leisten damit einen Beitrag zum Zusammenhalt unserer Gesellschaft.
The fostering of tradition and the instigation and cultivation of the new. The active striving for excellence. The creation of values. The nurturing of identity.
The mission and objectives of the Gewandhaus zu Leipzig are:
- The fostering and advancement of civic musical and concert life upon the foundations of the city's history and traditional musical sites.
- The employment and maintenance of the Gewandhausorchester, the Gewandhaus Organist and the Gewandhaus Choirs for concerts both in Leipzig and beyond.
- The provision of the Gewandhausorchester for both the performances staged by Leipzig Opera and the performance of cantatas in St. Thomas's Church together with St. Thomas's Choir.
- The presentation of chamber concerts featuring the ensembles of the Gewandhausorchester, as well as the hosting of concerts of varying genres given my guests and guest ensembles.
- The provision of an extensive range of education and outreach activities.
- The operation of the New Gewandhaus as a concert and event location.
We persistently strive:
- to maintain and intensify the Gewandhausorchester's worldwide synonymity with artistic excellence
- to enhance the international profile and reputation of the Gewandhaus's exceptional concert programme
- to ensure our Gewandhaus prospers as a sought-after and state-of-the-art concert and event location