at the Gewandhaus
In the Gewandhaus, the Gewandhausorchester gives around 70 Große Concerte each season, under the direction of the 21st Gewandhauskapellmeister, Andris Nelsons, and a roster of the world’s finest and most celebrated conductors. The season traditionally comes to a climax with a series of open-air concerts. Performances given by the five Gewandhaus Ensembles and the numerous other chamber music ensembles formed by members of the orchestra complement the Gewandhaus’s symphonic season.
The Gewandhaus on Augustusplatz is the third concert hall built in Leipzig for the Gewandhausorchester, inaugurated in 1981. In 1781, the orchestra took up residence in a hall in the trading house of the city’s textile merchants, from which the orchestra took its name. In 1884, the orchestra moved to a new concert hall in the so-called ‘music district’, neighbouring the former Reich Court (today, the Federal Administrative Court). The building was severely damaged in the Second World War and subsequently demolished in the 1960s. An interim home was found in the Congress Hall of Leipzig Zoo from 1946, until the new Gewandhaus on Augustusplatz was opened on 8 October 1981.