Concert & Dinner
Petra Jürgens and Detlef Schlegel have been responsible for service and cuisine at the "Stadtpfeiffer" restaurant since 2001.
Music recognises no boundaries, and the cuisine of Detlef Schlegel, who immediately cooked his way to a Michelin star and has since defended it with aplomb, looks far beyond the confines of Leipzig's Allerlei.
Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, 2018
A MICHELIN star: a cuisine full of finesse - worth a stop!
There are not many hosts who treat their guests with as much natural and inviting cordiality as Detlef and Petra Schlegel. Detlef Schlegel cooks with admirable precision combined with astonishing fantasy. His dishes are rooted in classical cuisine, yet are always reinterpreted, receiving their own unique touch.
The Great Guide
When an experienced chef like Detlef Schlegel, who is firmly rooted in classical cuisine, continues to improve from year to year, it causes a sensation. Creations with enormous subliminal tension and original finesse emerge. The Stadtpfeiffer [...] is now finally playing at the top of the national league.
Detlef Schlegel was named Chef of the Year 2021 by the gourmet guide Gusto
The history of Leipzig’s Stadtpfeiffer (City Pipers) began on 10 July 1479 with the City Council’s resolution to employ three musicians "for the benefit and piety of the city and all its citizens." The first Leipzig City Pipers were one Hans Nagel and his two sons. In 1743, a group of Leipzig merchants joined together to finance an orchestra of 16 musicians, of which the City Pipers were a part, for their newly founded music society, the Leipziger Concert: the nucleus of the Gewandhausorchester. This initially private orchestra performed both in concert and in theatrical productions, as well as occasionally augmenting the Stadtpfeiffer in their church music duties.
In 1840, the orchestra was recognised as a civic orchestra, gradually rendering the City Pipers obsolete. On completion of the New Gewandhaus in 1981, the restaurant in the complex was given the name Stadtpfeiffer as a lasting commemoration of the tradition of Leipzig’s civic musicians.